GALS 8U RULES & GUIDELINES
(Amended – February 2013)
- Dugouts are first come/first serve. Home team will be designated on
the game schedule.
- Games will begin promptly at 6:30 p.m. and will continue until 6 innings
have been completed or the 1½ hour time limit is reached.
- Because this is an instructional league and pitching is done by a
pitching machine, the coach will be allowed to coach from the pitching
rubber during the pitch. The pitching machine should be positioned
approximately 35 feet from home plate and the speed should be set at
30-35 miles per hour. For pitch consistency, every effort should be
made to use 11 inch pitching machine (dimpled) softballs.
- The offensive team coach shall operate the pitching machine for their
batters. This coach shall also be designated as the base coach for the
offensive team. A second offensive coach shall be allowed to coach
and provide instruction for the batter from the area traditionally used
by the home plate umpire.
- For each ½ inning the offensive team shall bat through their line-up or
record three outs whichever occurs first. All rostered players
present at each game shall be listed in the team line-up. The inning is
over when the third out occurs or the offensive team reaches the end
of their batting line-up and home plate is touched by any defensive
player in possession of the ball.
- A maximum of ten (10) players will be allowed on defense at one time.
If used, the additional defender must be positioned in the outfield
(outfield being grass area). Since all players are in the batting order,
free substitution is allowed. If a team is playing short-handed, the
teams can agree prior to the beginning of the game, to loan the
opposing team additional players so more players get more playing
- A maximum of two defensive coaches will be allowed in the field. The
defensive coach/coaches shall have the duties of the base umpire and
be responsible for calls of safe or out at all bases and home plate.
- A maximum of five pitches will be provided to each batter. The batter is
allowed to swing at all five pitches.
- Once a pitch is put into play by a hit, the ball is live. When an infielder
fields the ball and attempts to make a play on any runner, the ball
becomes dead on an overthrow at the base thrown to. Each base
runner will then advance one and only one base. When an outfielder
fields a batted ball and overthrows a base attempting to make a play at
any base, the batter is awarded a ground rule double. Any ball hit past
the outfielders on the grass becomes an automatic ground rule double.
All other runners advance accordingly.
- Use of a batting tee during games is prohibited.
- NO walks will be allowed. Each batter will either hit the ball or strike
- NO base stealing is allowed.
- NO sliding by base runners is allowed.
- Teams may play games with as few as 7 players. Players arriving late
can be inserted into the batting order at any time.
- Field condition and safety issues caused by weather may cause a
game to be called. The responsibility for such a decision rests
primarily with the field owner/representative. Whether a game should
be called due to weather is to be decided only by that representative.
- All ASA 10U rules including all mercy rules apply unless otherwise
Games will be played on Tuesday and Thursday evenings beginning on March 31st. Game time is 6:30 pm – 8:00 pm.
Fields to be used are as follows: GALS Quad (1/2), Homedale Sundance Park (1/2), Sage Valley Middle School (1/2). We also have Marsing available. Field usage will depend on the number of total teams we end up with.
Teams should be in uniform. Team uniform shirt should comply with ASA rules. All other uniform items are optional.
Cost per player will be $12.00. This will cover ASA registration for each player with a small amount left over for some type of year-end participation certificate/award. This does not include uniform costs.
Plans are to hold a year end jamboree/hot dog/ice cream party on Saturday, May 2nd time to be determined. We will play mini games – bat through line-up/switch to defense & so on for ½ hour. Then we’ll switch fields and play again and just have FUN!!!!!
ASA background checks are required by ASA and GALS for ALL COACHES. The ASA ACE Certification is recommended but will NOT be mandatory at this age level. Coaches can do the background and/or ACE on line at http://www.registerasa.com. The cost for background check only is around $10.00. The cost for the ACE (which includes a background check) is around $25.00.
GALS will require Parental Waivers be filled out by all players and because we will be registering players with ASA, copies of birth certificates will be required.